Tuesday, May 22, 2007
Inability to Create
I was shocked today when I asked my students to create their first blogs and how many of them were stuck with an inability to be creative. Each student was given the option to choose their own names for their blogs, and then write three entries: a general introduction, a reflection on their banned book, and a reflection on the play Macbeth. If I hear one more student ask "how long does it have to be?" or "what should I write about?" I'm going to scream.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
Some people begin to rely on the guidance of a criteria. When criteria is consistently given students lose the ability to write freely. Since students have been exposed to continual critera it is understandable that some may become lost when they are given no guidelines.
I agree with the post below. Once you don't give a specific criteria to students, they are lost. They are very dependent on guidelines, which is why there should be more open-ended and creative projects like this. It is important that students are given the opportunity to create and customize their own thoughts; how else will they grow and learn who they are?
So...What DO I write about? Lol, I kid. I assume that this post is not directly aimed at English 10, but still includes it. Indeed, children nowadays are too reliant on granted guidance to the point where it almost seems like teaching dogs new tricks they will never fully absorb and lead them by the nose with a chain in hand. Somewhat ironic really, because dogs can probably learn faster and better than some of us. That said, screaming is good every now and then, you might have to take a sick day next morning, but at least you won't regret it.
Inability only comes with those that refuse to try.
People are usually afraid to try new things that they aren't comfortable with.
I agree with the anonymous person people are afraid to try new things especially when they are worth alot of marks!!
Post a Comment